Wednesday 9 November 2011

Roland Topor's Three Favorite Reasons to Endit

Before anyone out there begins to worry: a little back story. I was tooling around the Web site of the Dalkey Archive Press, a great, tiny nonprofit press, and found the new issue of their literary review, “Context.” One of the articles has the too-good-not-to-click-on-it title “100 Good Reasons to Kill Myself Right Now.”
Here are my three favorite from the list:
2) It’ll throw off the last census.
78) To watch the movie of my life at a very exclusive screening.
89) Because I’ve read all the adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
The author is Roland Topor, a French writer and illustrator I’d never heard of. (I was reassured that I am not alone in this by his appearance on the Tumblr blog, “Writers No One Reads.”) Apparently, Topor helped found something called the Panic Movement in the 1960s. According to the British blogger Jonathan McCalmont, the Panickers were famous for “slitting the throats of geese, covering naked women with honey, attaching snakes to their chests and, most famously, re-staging the conquest of Mexico by the Spanish using toads and lizards for Jodorowsky’s film ‘The Holy Mountain’ (1973).”
Personally, I prefer the lighter stuff. Read the rest of Topor’s reasons to end it all here. I’m not sure if he was riffing on Camus, but his list certainly reminded me of that famous line from “The Stranger”: “Should I kill myself, or have a cup of coffee?”

No comments:

Post a Comment